Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gnocchi

What is Gnocchi?

Gnocchi (English pronunciation: noki) are various thick, soft dumplings. They may be made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, potato, bread crumbs, or similar ingredients. The smaller forms are called gnocchetti.

They are widely available dried, frozen, or fresh in vacuum sealed packages in supermarkets and specialty stores. Classic accompaniments of gnocchi include tomato sauces, pesto, and melted butter with cheese.

We normally eat Gnocchi with a tomato sauce or pesto.  For this dish, I used a homemade Alfredo sauce and added steamed cauliflower and carrots as a side.  The Apron Strings LOVED it. 

I am going to experiment with the Alfredo sauce, it was a bit on the thick side and was not low in fat, at all.  But...it was good.  I also am going try my hand at making homemade gnocchi in the near future. 

Grab your apron and get cooking - veggie style!

(source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnocchi)

No comments:

Post a Comment